WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

Is Wedding Cake absolutely necessary?!

Is Wedding Cake absolutely necessary?!

Postby marant » Mon May 14, 2022 12:11 pm

Hi there,

This might be a strange one but has anyone ever not had a traditional cake on a stand and the whole thing of cutting the cake and picture taking?

Neither of us are big cake lovers but I am playing with the idea of having a selection of dainty little cupcakes to be served with the finger food in the evening.

We are already having a very small wedding and I think my idea could work well. But is the cake just too traditional to be left out?!!

Any suggestions are welcome!
marant
New Wolly

Re: Is Wedding Cake absolutely necessary?!

Postby govosgal » Mon May 14, 2022 12:14 pm

Im not really sure what the proper ettiquite is on having a wedding cake. but if your not a cake lover then maybe organise a fake cake just for pictures in that. especially if your thinking of going with cupcakes anyway. Im planning on going with the cupcakes myself.
govosgal
New Wolly

Postby Leanne2112 » Mon May 14, 2022 12:17 pm

I don't see the point in having one if it's just for pictures and if you don't really like it, it's a big expense if you're not really bothered and I have seen a lot of people recently not having them at all.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Leanne2112
Mini Wolly

Postby squonk » Mon May 14, 2022 12:25 pm

No it's not necessary if you're not a cake person. The point of a cake isn't to get a photo of cutting it, the reason for cutting the cake is it represents your first task as husband and wife, so don't get one just for the sake of a photo. If you're going to serve cupcakes anyway then there's no need, especially if you're getting cupcakes to serve most of the guests as that will be expensive enough anyway, you'd be paying for two cakes basically between cupcakes to serve everyone and a cake.
squonk
Major Wolly

Postby shellym12 » Mon May 14, 2022 12:40 pm

weve opted for a croque en bouche as our wedding cake, and that is doubling up as our dessert for our guests......

Were not big cake people but we do love profiteroles!!!! Might be something to consider either?
shellym12
New Wolly

Postby Anne Cordelia Shirley » Mon May 14, 2022 12:45 pm

We didn't have a cake or bother with a fake one. I personally hate the cake cutting photos and neither of us has ever had a really nice cake at wedding so we didn't bother. We had chocolates served with tea/coffee after dinner and with the evening food which covered those with a sweet tooth. It wasn't missed on the day, on one asked us about where the cake was.
Anne Cordelia Shirley
Woloholic

Postby FutureMrsS » Mon May 14, 2022 12:46 pm

We're having afternoon tea so we figured guests will be "cake-d out" by the time an actual wedding cake came around so we're having a wedding "cheese" cake - each tier is made of a different wheel of cheese...another option... hth
FutureMrsS
Princess Wolly

Postby squonk » Mon May 14, 2022 12:49 pm

shellym12 wrote:weve opted for a croque en bouche as our wedding cake, and that is doubling up as our dessert for our guests......

Were not big cake people but we do love profiteroles!!!! Might be something to consider either?

This would depend on the hotel and time of year, fresh cream/creme anglaise can't sit out very long in a warm room, I love croquembouche when it's done well so definitely worth considering OP.
squonk
Major Wolly

Postby AwkwardAnnie » Mon May 14, 2022 12:53 pm

No definitely not - its always been at weddings we've been at but I don't think I would of missed it if the couple had skipped the "cutting the cake" part...

I've only ever tasted the wedding cake once, at the last wedding - just because it was put out on the table in front of us
AwkwardAnnie
Wolly Addict

Postby happygirl2012n » Mon May 14, 2022 12:59 pm

I'm thinking of not having a wedding cake and doing a tiered stand of cupcakes instead. I've seen a few of these and they look great and they're something a little different! Also very easy for guests to take away =)
happygirl2012n
New Wolly

Postby frankenbride » Mon May 14, 2022 1:49 pm

Not necessary at all!! to be honest of all the weddings I've been to the only cake I can remember is my own for obvious reasons. I didn't even know one of the weddings had a cake until the photos.

I have been to a few where there was none and nobody even noticed.

It really is a personal thing, I wasn't going to get one until a friend pointed me in the direction of a really cheap supplier :)
[/url]
frankenbride
Mini Wolly

Postby Ms HP » Mon May 14, 2022 2:00 pm

Not necessary in my opinion, I didn't have it and lots of people didn't even notice. It's your day so you do as you please :-)
Ms HP
Mini Wolly

Postby marant » Mon May 14, 2022 6:05 pm

Thanks folks!!

I think that has kind of made up my mind now. I've never not seen one at a wedding so thought it might be noticed. So I think i'll go with my cupcakes instead!
Thanks again for your replies :)
marant
New Wolly

Postby FrenchToast » Mon May 14, 2022 6:50 pm

Not at all. I'm sure a few people will ask about it but I wouldn't worry about it. personally I have never actually ate or even noticed when the cake is given out to guests. Too busy having fun!
We weren't too pushed about the cake but after I recently got my OH a novely cake for his birthday we got thinking. The birthday cake was amazing anf was 10" for E50. I swear I do not see how she made it for that. There was so much detail it was fab. So we decided if we are getting a cake it's going to be a fun cake and not just a pretty one.
We might have another plain cake in the kitchen to cut along with it. But should def have plenty of cake for less than E100.
Need to decide what to do now. Have an idea of a cake of the Top Table including al the people. Their was people on the other novely cake I got and they were class.
[/url]
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wl9hRQF/]
FrenchToast
Mini Wolly

Postby hengaa » Tue May 15, 2022 12:28 pm

We are not cake people either. Dont like the thought of the cutting the cake just for photos so we are thinking of having chocolate biscuit cake made and leave it in the kitchen to be cut up and served with the evening food. just an idea so far!! :)
hengaa
New Wolly

Next

Return to Old Faithful