WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

Practical tips for new mums to be

Postby theoracle » Thu Aug 13, 2022 8:25 pm

Tan, I can only speak from personal experience, so there is some immediate blood loss which is of greater quantity, I'd say half a pint at the very maximum, which is immediately after birth and you will probably not witness it. The rest (for me) was like a very heavy period - after a normal delivery, but if you have had assisted delivery and stiches you might have some more blood loss, but I wouldn't call it pints and pints.

Re today's bf discussion, I was asked to post here my experience, so here it goes:
I have exclusively bottle-fed dd1, have bf-ed on dd2 and am bf-ing on dd3. I would just like to say that I feel the information you get about bf-ing needs to be more 'honest' about what to expect. I read plenty about it, but I still feel I was to large extent unprepared as to what lies ahead and I felt it would have been easy to give up in the first few days as those are the toughest - but nobody tells you that!

If you do choose to go for it, this is what you may expect:
On day 1, babs might just take a small amount of feed, and sleep a lot. However, if you had long labour and/or assisted delivery, it is possible that baby will have difficulty latching on and might be more hungry. Now, they make out that bottle is the devil and as soon as baby gets bottle there is no going back, but I had not hesitated to top baba up if there was a need. They may only take like 0.5oz and that will fill them up as their stomachs are very little to start of with. As long as you keep putting the baba on the boobs, you shoudl be fine.

Day 2 is when 'normally' the hard work starts. Baby will want to feed. Baby will want to feed all the time. Baby will cry to let you know this. Again, this is mother nature's way of drawing in milk - baby needs to suck on your boobs loads to get the milk to come in. Again I would keep at it as much as you can - but top up if you are too tired/exhausted/nipples to sore.

Day 3 might be same as day 2, or better, depending on how fast your milk comes in - for me it didn't happen till day 5, but after that, feeding gets much easier.

Expect sore nipples. Expect very sore nipples. Rub on lansinoh regulalry to keep nipples in shape. Again, nipples toughen up after the first week and after that it's easy street. But expect to ouch every time baby latches on up until then.

Of course things may be slightly different for you. I had no leaking breasts leading up to birth and literally n supply to speak off, so maybe I was starting off as worst case, I didn't mind all the hard work, but knowing that there is a timetable for things to start working properly, would have helped - I gave up very early on dd1 as I thought things were not working out. I have bottlefed her and she is a fine healthy child. I enjoyed bf-ing dd2 though, and it is very practical and easy, I found I still had freedom, thanks to expressing and could still share with dh (if I was bf-ing, he would be winding) and we did one bottle of formula at night time so I had some rest.
theoracle
Most Helpful, Most Knowledgeable User 2011

Postby survivor » Fri Aug 14, 2022 3:49 pm

Thanks for posting this here Hu. I'll be reading it again in the days before i have the baby to refresh my memory. :thnk
Love is when you kiss all the time. Then when you get tired of kissing, you still want to be together and you talk more.

survivor
Woloholic

Re: Practical tips for new mums to be

Postby tweetiepie » Wed Dec 30, 2021 9:55 pm

Girls, I just wanted to share a little tip for after the baba is born, if you have stitches - It really was a life saver for me.

I bought about 10 jars of witch hazel (it's super cheap in the chemists) and every time I changed my pad I literally poured some directly onto each pad, which really eased the pain and also kept the area nice and clean. Got through loads of it but like I said is well cheap and worth it!

Also poured lavender and Tea tree into the bath when I got home which also helped ease things! :wv

tweetiepie
Mini Wolly

haze

Postby nicola2 » Fri Jan 22, 2022 2:53 pm

Wow - so many great tips. Thanks a lot guys. I am due in two months and starting to get nervous.
nicola2
New Wolly

Postby romobo » Tue Mar 09, 2022 9:36 pm

From Blondie_Chick:

Girls,

I have learned so much from having my LO...I really hadn't a clue about motherhood before this!!!

Anyway, I only have a short time to log on....my LO will need feeding very soon..

Just thought I would share some tips....

1. Have loads of kitchen roll at home...you'll use this to pat yourself dry down below after showers. using a towel is too sore.
2. Get arnica from a health shop/chemist. Take this every 2 hours to heal yourself down below.
3. Buy tonnes of packets of maternity pads. You'll need them. I had my LO 8 days ago and I am still bleeding a lot. Don't use ordinary sanitary towels...you will need the big maternity pads, they are way more comfy and have gauze...not the plastic like on Always ultra etc.
4. Take as MUCH help as you can from grannies, sisters, friends whoever....you will be WRECKED and need naps during the day. YOu will need someone to look after your LO while you nap for the first week or so.
5. Prepare loads of dinners for freezing while you can...stock the freezer and then use these dinners after your LO is born as you will NOT have time to cook!
6. Get your nursing bras 2 cup sizes bigger. I got mine in one of the oldest and most established lingerie shops in Galway and the women there have worked there for years and they only gave me my normal bra size. I asked them should I not be getting it 2 sizes bigger...they said 'no' and boy, how wrong were they! I ended up having to get my DH to go back in when my milk came in and buy me 2 more bras in 2 cup sizes bigger! So don't listen to ANYONE who tells you not to go up cups sizes....you do need to....and I am not breastfeeding!!
7. Have a cabbage in your fridge for when your milk comes in...putting cold cabbage leaves on your breasts eases the engorgement.

Gotta go now, LO needs me!!!

Good luck to you all!

xx

romobo
Princess Wolly

Postby kilkenny09bride » Wed Mar 10, 2022 11:29 am

Hi ladies, I'm a first time Mam to be and I'm very nervous about my first prenatal appointment, I don't know what to expect. I have met my GP and she completed all the blood tests, does this mean that I will only have an ultrasound at my first prenatal appointment or what other test/examinations will I have???

I'm really worried about this, not sure why, but I would like to know what is going to happen at this appointment?

Thanks ladies

:babydust:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

kilkenny09bride
Mini Wolly

Postby bunnyhop1 » Mon Mar 22, 2022 5:10 pm

Hi all,
These are just a few tips I have after having babs...obviously after 11 weeks I'm an expert :yelrotflmaosmilie:
Well here goes....

Get organised!!

Pack early!!!Even if you've had a trouble free pregnancy all hell can break loose from week 30 on!!!

Don't buy newborn clothes...mine LO was only 6lb10 but went straight into 0-3months!!Also go for size 2 nappies...and...
Bulk buy...especially when there's offers on!!boots are great for that...

Bepanthan...brilliant!!

Infacol...wonder stuff!

Little noses spray and boogy extractor...a must!!

Lanolin...fab..warm it up if u cant get it out of the tube!!

Multimam pads...oh so nice on a cracked nipple!!! :weep

Muslin squares...fab under babs in the cot for spit ups, covering boobs and of course burping!!

Nappy bags...scented ones speak for themselves really...but the nonscented ones are great for packing...I put babs first outfit
and stuff like that in them in the labour bag v handy for DH!!

Straws in the labour bag..great if ur on gas and air! O-O

2 pairs of slippers...be prepared to throw them out!! :hic

Put a set of toiletries in both bags...Put in moisturiser for u in!!Hospitals are warm and drying...

A spray bottle with sterile saline for when you go to the loo(with stiches and general ickness!!) with that witch hazel..put it
directly on the pad the refief is fab!!

Moist toilet tissue..speaks for itself! :-8

Put some bin liners in...really handy for the dirty cloths!

We bought a nappy wrapper...we love it think its brill!

Limit your visitors in hospital...dont come home too early..the help of the midwives is invaluable if you're a first time breast feeder!!

Your public health nurses are there to help...use them!!

If you're doing a birthplan keep it simple...and be prepared that most of it wont happen!!!If one thing is done how you want it its worth it!!

Perineal massage works...and its a bit of fun for u both too >:o)

Colourcatchers...my heart was broken separating pinks and whites!! O:|

PJ's...just when you think you've bought enough...buy more!!!

Take every pain killer offered and then ask for more!!!!Even if you "don't take tablets" TAKE THEM!! *)

Not everything is fixed in "6 weeks"!!! >:o(

DON'T GOOGLE ANYTHING!!!!It will only frighten the sh*t out of you!! :ooh :ooh

Make your other half watch a birth and watch one yourself...One Born Every Minute is very good for that at the mo!! :stork:

A sence of humour is essential.... :hyper:

Well I hope that helps someone!!!If you want anymore info just PM me...its the scariest, most brilliant time..enjoy!! :lvs :lvs

Bunny :o)ll :o)ll
bunnyhop1
Mini Wolly

Postby mam2be » Tue Mar 23, 2022 1:35 pm

Deadly thread girls :thnk
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

[/url]
mam2be
New Wolly

Postby Angelmama » Sat Mar 27, 2022 4:58 pm

My main tip is BE ORGANISED!!
Im sooo glad we were

We had the nursery all ready and everything in it that we would need for when baba arrived home, nappies, vaseline, cot ready (I put DS in cot after changing him on changing unit so I can go and wash my hands), buggy put together (DS sleeps in pram during the day and moses basket in our room at night)
We also figured out how to used sterilser when we got it
We had the drawers in his room full of clothes, blankets and muslins.

Our DS arrived a week early so it was definatley worth having everything ready for him when we got home as you dont get the chance to settle in, once home DS needed somewhere to sleep, be changed and we had to have his bottles ready

VISITORS: Everyone wants to call to see your new baby, and people are really so good, but dont be afraid to put them off if you are not in the form or if you have someone else calling that day. We have been scheduling visitors since DS arrived home, only having one set of visitors per day, if someone wanted to call the same day as someone else we just explained we had someone else calling and if they wouldnt mind calling another day, they all totally understood. You wont feel it till it happens but talking is soo tiring, especially when you are repeating the same story of your labour and birth to every person who calls. One day after having a few visitors I just broke down and cried, I was so tired. My best days since DH was born were when we had no visitors and we could just get on with things ourselves

Speaking of crying, dont forgot to expect the baby blues to hit you, I had them for about a week, crying for no reason, especially when I was the happiest I have ever been, its a very strange feeling. Do warn your DH before you have the baby that it may happen and to expect it, that way he wont freak out when it does. I found I got very emotional when I looked at my tummy and the bump was gone, I still feel emotional about it actually, its all natural Im told.
Previously angel13

A BABY FILLS A PLACE IN YOUR HEART YOU NEVER KNEW WAS EMPTY
Angelmama
Major Wolly

Postby draiocht » Wed May 26, 2022 6:08 pm

Im on Baby no 3 now so i have made all mistakes and learned along the way.
My tips
Make sure you have lots of pjs - bottoms, i stained a few of mine in hospital, also if they fit you when your pregnant they will fit when you give birth, the bump doesnt automatically go away. you dont want to be bet into your pjs
When you are going home, make sure you have clothes that fit, you may still only fit into the maternity clothes.

Labour is different for everyone, no two are the same, one womans nightmare may be a walk in the park for someone else, be prepared to go with the flow, things may not go to plan but if you have an open mind about everything, pain relief etc then you wont be to dissapointed if your plans change.

Take an empty sports bottle with you to hospital, fill it with tap water and for your first wee after the birth, pour the water down below while you are weeing, this will dilute the wee and there will be less stinging, even if you have no stiches, it still stings a bit while weeing, i found this very helpful, i did it at every wee for the first few days.

Buy arnica from nelsons pharmacy dublin, the strong one, start taking when labour begins and every 2 hours for the next few days, this will help bruising, pain and you will heal much faster- used it on dd2 not on dd1 and difference was amazing.

You can buy bottles of formula in the hospital shop- tray, we bought one and didnt have to make bottles for a few days after i got home, very handy.
If bf and you want to top up, just throw a few into your bag in the hospital, they are readily available you only have to ask.

When you get home with baby, people will want to hold and pass the baby around, i learned the hard way, i gave dd1 to everyone who asked and then when all the visitors left i was left with an exhausted screaming baby who was overtired , i was wrecked too.
So on dd2 if she was asleep and people ask could they hold her, if she was in moses basket i would just say, no she is asleep but if she wakes up when and your still here you can hold her then, nobody compained- well not to my face! and when they all went home i had a happy settled baby. This was a tip from a lady who had 4 children and it was one of the best i got. Babies are not toys and you will end up dealing with the aftermath.

Dont listen to anyone, do what suits you and your family, if you want to hold the baby all day and it suits you do it, if you rather the baby be in the basket, do it, same with bf and ff, and routines and no routines- when people give advice smile and nod girls, smile and nod :o0
draiocht
Mini Wolly

Postby yorkie » Thu Jun 03, 2022 10:35 am

draiocht wrote:Dont listen to anyone, do what suits you and your family, if you want to hold the baby all day and it suits you do it, if you rather the baby be in the basket, do it, same with bf and ff, and routines and no routines- when people give advice smile and nod girls, smile and nod :o0

+1!!! That is so true. Do what you feel is best. Even if you feel you haven't a maternal bone in your body now, once you have your LO your maternal instinct will kick in. Don't let other people's advice knock your confidence - you really will know what's best.

yorkie
Mini Wolly

Postby Princess Mom » Thu Jun 17, 2022 10:57 am

Here are mine.......

There is a lot mentioned here on the thread which can become daunting when you are trying to figure out what you actually need. I simplified things didnt get the witch hazel arnica etc cause I figured if I needed it I could get someone to pick it up for me afterwards. As it happened I didnt and healed fine.

Also do the same regarding the packing of your bag. During my labour I was in my clothes until I went to the labour ward and then changed into hospital gown to get epidural. All we needed in the labour ward was a change of nightdress for me afterwards & Pads and Big Knickers and nappy for Baby Big and most importantly camera. Also if you have an iphone there is a contraction timing app you can download which is very handy. We used this in the ward when I was in labour when they bring you to the labour ward the midwife does it for you.

A changing table is a must everything you need together at hand and easy on the back.

My no 1 recommendation are water wipes
They are only available in boots at the moment and are expensive at €4.99 per packet of 76 wipes but worth every penny. http://www.dermah2o.com/ I got them cause I couldnt be doing with the cotton wool and water as I cant stand the texture of cotton wool. They are brillant!

Also if you like cereal bars like nutri grain have a couple of boxes of them I am often so busy with baby that it could be late afternoon before I get a chance for breakfast these are handy to have on the go.

Hope these help and dont ever forget Mammy knows best.

Princess Mom
Mini Wolly

Postby tilsun » Sat Jul 10, 2022 8:12 am

I keep meaning to add this tip as it is a mistake we made and I wish I'd been warned about.

when we came home from hospital we put DD's pram downstairs for her naps, it was to the left of us as it fitted neatly there. Then she was in crib for night time and this was to the left of our bed as that's my side. Long story short she was always lying on her back but with her head on left side. By about 6 weeks we realised we had a problem with head lag and flattening on the left side. We have worked very hard to reverse the problem but still aren't there. Now I've heard that some babies just have a preference for one side but I really think the positioning of her pram and crib made the situation a lot worse. O:|

So my advice is to make sure you move about cots, cribs, baskets etc so baby is inclined to lie to both sides. Hope that makes sense :wv

tilsun
Empress Wolly

Postby ghostchild2 » Tue Jul 20, 2022 8:13 pm

tilsun wrote:I keep meaning to add this tip as it is a mistake we made and I wish I'd been warned about.

when we came home from hospital we put DD's pram downstairs for her naps, it was to the left of us as it fitted neatly there. Then she was in crib for night time and this was to the left of our bed as that's my side. Long story short she was always lying on her back but with her head on left side. By about 6 weeks we realised we had a problem with head lag and flattening on the left side. We have worked very hard to reverse the problem but still aren't there. Now I've heard that some babies just have a preference for one side but I really think the positioning of her pram and crib made the situation a lot worse. O:|

So my advice is to make sure you move about cots, cribs, baskets etc so baby is inclined to lie to both sides. Hope that makes sense :wv

Babs hasn't arrived yet so I have still lots to learn. However I read on the net that you should alternate baby's sleeping position on a daily basis ie put their feet to what you consider the bottom of the crib/cot one night and to the top of the crib/cot the next. This apparently helps them to learn to move their heads better.

ghostchild2
Ultimate Wolly

Postby mum~of~an~angel » Wed Jul 21, 2022 7:14 pm

If you are unlucky enough to get stitches; buy cheap satin pyjama bottoms; it makes it easier to slide in and out of the bed.
Especially handy for the hospital as the beds can be quite high

[center][/center]

mum~of~an~angel
New Wolly

nappies!!

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Babies